History of the Village: Snippets

Snippets from the history of the village.

How the village got its name:
In the Domesday Book in 1086 the village was listed as Hacberdingham. By 1115 it had become Hagordingeheim. Taking the name to pieces... Hacberd, which became Hagworth was the name of the Saxon lord who owned the land, and 'ing' means ‘the followers of’. The 'ham' part means a homestead or estate. Therefore the name means - 'the homestead or estate of the family and the people of Hacberd'. - Hagworthingham.

In 1563 a return from the Archdeacon of Lincoln records the village having 46 families. The 1676 census shows that there were 131 people in the village. By religious persuasion there were 105 Conformists; 26 Non-Conformist; and no Papists in the village.

In the survey of the Diocese 1705-1723 there were 60 families including one Quaker and an Anabaptist. For part of this time, in 1718, the Rector was Thomas Ashcroft. He then moved on to live in Woodhouse, near Mansfield. In his absence a curate, who lived at Authorpe, was employed with a stipend of £30 a year. He was also curate for Brinkhill and Swaby. So, it's not so new having a Rector travelling around the district from parish to parish.

In 1801 the population of the village was 376, in 1811 it was 442, in 1821 it had risen to 533 and in 1831 to 593. By 1841 there were 600 souls in Hagworthingham, the population peaking in 1851 to 651, dropping to 612 in 1861. There was a sharp decrease in 1881 to 484 and 477 in 1891 In 1911 there were 350 people in the village. In 2001 there were 296 villagers, 51 per cent male and 49per cent female, in East Lindsey the stats are the other way round! The village is 99 per cent white and 78 per cent Christian with 83 per cent of the village homes being owner occupied.

A Free School was built in Hagworthingham in 1704, then rebuilt on a new site in 1823. It was then taken down in 1873 and rebuilt yet again....Sadly, it was closed by Lincolnshire County Council over 30 years ago and children now travel to Tetford and Spilsby for primary schooling.

Dr Thomas Sedgwick Whalley who died in 1828 left £300 to generate interest in start up a Sunday School ... but the money was never paid out of his estate. Apparently, the reason the money was never paid was that this flamboyant and once rich man died in poverty and his estate was in chancery for more than 20 years. He paid for the new rectory to be built in 1825 in gratitude for the living he had been given but had never taken up due to the strict instructions from the then Bishop of Ely that he should never preach there!

In the 10th century William de Gaunt owned land in Hagworthingham and it is thought he donated some to the Abbott of Bardney Abbey. The Abbott claimed the right to erect gallows in the village because although the Monks were powerful they were always under threat, and gallows may have deterred their enemies.
There is the site of a Roman settlement at Furze Hill. It is seen as crop marks and was possibly also a villa site. The main feature is a double ditched track-way, with a number of boundaries running at right angles. The Romans invaded Britain in 55BC and a few years later they moved towards conquering the north. The local tribe who would have lived in Lincolnshire including Hagg was the Corieltauvi. There is no record of resistance by them and they would probably have thrown their hand in with the Romans!
In October 1643 the Royalist and Parliamentarian armies met in battle at nearby Winceby, a couple of miles from Hagworthingham. The Royalist army under  the command of Sir John Henderson, and Sir William Widdrington were leading a force to relieve the siege at Bolingbroke Castle. They were met by a Parliamentarian force led by Oliver Cromwell and Sir Thomas Fairfax.
During the battle Cromwell's horse was shot from underneath him, but he still went on to defeat the Royalist army. In the rout after the battle the Royalist soldiers scattered all over the Lincolnshire Wolds and one of them called Miles Hope staggered into Hagworthingham with serious injuries of which he eventually died, he was buried in the church grounds by the people of the parish.